This is a blog about serial yo yo dieting. Not a blog about those who lose weight for medical/psychological reasons. Parents don't cause eating disorders.
"I've lost 10 lbs. I've been on this marvellous new protein/low carb/grapefruit/wasp-sting extract/shark tooth/stinging nettle soup/ diet."
Cue Oohs and Ahhs.
Call me a cynic but as I get nearer to 50, I have begun to observe that it is the same women (6 or 7 of them) who have lost the same 10-15lbs about 4 times in the last 15 - 20 years. Each time, they vow that they will keep it off this time and each time, inevitably, they don't.
- What were you like to live with when you on this diet? Were you fun? Were you happy? Did you go out and enjoy a coffee with your friends? Eat fish and chips on the beach with your children? Share a bottle of wine with your husband? Or did you become pinched, irritable, obsessive, grumpy? Did you spend your time crunching your abs and measuring your seaweed extract, rather than playing with the children, talking with your teenagers, chatting with your husband, living your life?
- Last time you lost this same 10 lbs, did you life change immeasurably for the better? Did you get a new job? A pay rise? Win the lottery? Get a new lover? Realise your life's ambition to swim with Daniel Craig?
- No? Do you think your life is going to change this time? How?
- What are you going to do with this particular set of new clothes you have bought to celebrate losing weight? Charity shop? Ebay, like last time? Or are they going to sit, gathering dust and mournfully guilting you every time you open your cupboard? Are they going to tempt you to slim into them again?
- How long does the euphoria last? A week? A month? Is the admiration worth it? Really? From a load of superficial acquaintances for losing weight? Have you nothing better to do with your talents, your education, your interests?
- Do you REALLY think that appearances matter that much?
- Are you REALLY doing this for yourself?
- Do you know what a hamster wheel is?
- When are you going to learn?