Search This Blog

Friday 9 August 2013

Watching the watchers.....




Watching the staff here is an interesting pastime. We have just had a changeover of young doctors and the impossibly fresh faced Emily has been replaced by an even more youthful Carrie. It is her first day and she is filled with nervous energy and a solemn dedication. I want to tell her she has lucked out being on this ward for the next six months. It runs like clockwork, is a calm and compassionate place and the nursing and support staff could probably run it with their eyes closed. 

Last night we had a beautiful young nurse on her first night shift. What a joy she was. Judy and I smiled indulgently and talked nostalgically of when consultants didn't sit on patients beds to chat and junior nurses were banished to the sluice room during Ward Rounds. Jade was still bright and shiny at 5.30 this morning. Oh the joyful exuberance of youth. 



It's been two years since I last spent some time here and I do feel that morale has risen and there is a lighter atmosphere than previously - less big brother and more actual nursing. The paperwork is still horrendous but more for care of patients than covering ones back. I hope I am not wrong and that this continues. 

The support staff are wonderful. One lady comes in early ever day to help out unpaid. It is wrong that she is not paid. Her dedication needs recognition. There really are some seriously good and dedicated people working for our NHS. Lets stop complaining and start praising and rewarding. They are not in it for the money, that's for sure.

The lovely Helen is on the ward this afternoon all dressed up in her Staff Nurse uniform. I almost didn't recognise her. The coordination between the day unit and the ward is wonderful to see. No jobs worth in this part of the hospital. My pathetic gratitude may be making me sentimental but it also makes me a more pleasant person and I think the staff appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment