Search This Blog
Thursday 8 December 2011
Prevention - better than cure?
I think the place to start would be to define exactly what we mean by prevention
1. the act of preventing
2. a hindrance, obstacle, or impediment
v. pre·vent·ed, pre·vent·ing, pre·vents
1. To keep from happening: took steps to prevent the strike.
2. To keep (someone) from doing something; impede: prevented us from winning.
3. Archaic To anticipate or counter in advance.
4. Archaic To come before; precede.
Which definition would you use for prevention? If we are talking about archaic definitions (anticipation), would this mean that with the use of, say, bio markers, mental illness could be anticipated and then prevented? And what exactly are we trying to prevent? The end stages of a disorder (psychosis, starvation) or prevent that actual "faulty wiring"? Comments please.