Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 May 2012

I know I can help you.

‘I Know I Can Help You’: Parental Self-efficacy Predicts Adolescent Outcomes in Family-based Therapy for Eating Disorders

A new study published in the May edition of European Eating Disorders Review shows great promise and further validation for FBT in the treatment of adolescents with anorexia.  The study took place in Canada and the staff involved had been trained by Le Grange, Lock, Eisler and Fairburn.

One of the most interesting outcomes was the role of fathers during treatment and the response of the adolescent towards their father's new found self-confidence.  As we are seeing more and more fathers on the forum, it is good to see this validation of the important role they play in the initial, weight restoration phase of FBT.

Here's Christopher's highlights of the paper.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous09 May, 2012

    I like that in the study the research group has assessed anxiety and depressed mood within the patient group. What I don't like is that they examined what they describe as "two key
    subscales of the EDI: Drive for Thinness and Body Dissatisfaction" to assess outcome of ED symptomology.

    That's fine for fat-phobic AN, but what about people with non-fat-phobic AN? I never showed drive for thinness or body dissatisfaction at any stage of my illness, yet I had severe, low weight restricting AN....

    ReplyDelete